Wednesday 29 January 2014

Nails: Featuring Sally Hansen Miracle Cure

Last year I made a the horrible mistake of stepping into one of those cheap and tacky "USA nails" stores, you know, the ones that are the "fast food" versions of nail salons? I decided on a full set of gel nails because biting my nails is a habit I've been trying to break for years now. So gel nails would hopefully prevent this. At first, I HATED the salon.. the way it was so unorganised, none of the "technicians" spoke English and I genuinely felt really uncomfortable. Walking out, I told myself I would never go back. Eight months down the line and I'm a recovering addict due to the hard wearing results. However, it's a new year and I've promised myself and my nails I will stop the tragic abuse of unknown chemicals and infills.
Taking my gels off at home proved to be extremely difficult, I have no idea what substance was used to stick them on, but they honestly wouldn't budge. I ended up soaking my fingertips in acetone for a good hour to soften them up enough to scrape off the gel. The results after were not pretty. My poor nails were brittle.. flaky.. destroyed basically. It was time for an emergency stop at the nearest cosmetics store to pick up a nail strengthener, and it had to be Sally Hansen. 
I ended up settling for the Sally Hansen Miracle Cure strengthener which just short of £10, so not cheap at all! But my justification is that it's cheaper than paying £16 for infills every few weeks and Sally Hansen have a reputation for being very effective. Obviously the strengthener didn't take effect immediately but as you can see from the picture above, after a few weeks they are slowly getting back to normal. On the packaging it describes how the formula works:

"Powerful moisture magnets target severely, dry and brittle problem nails. Exclusive Micro-Mineral formula fills in cracks to instantly stop nails from peeling. Natural protein and super anti-oxidant formula strengthens nails."

My nails still don't look appealing without a colour on top because they are really discolored, so I apply Miracle Cure every couple of days under a nail polish. So far so good, as I have had no broken nails and they are still strong enough to withstand everyday tasks. Hopefully in a couple of months time I will be able to put this all behind me and move on into a nail traumatic-free life! For anyone that has suffered the same nail-neglect, feel free to chat to me for support, my twitter feed is always open ;)
(Left: With one coat of Miracle Cure Right: Miracle Cure underneath Models Own "Indian Ocean")

What are your nail related horror stories? Hope you're having a good week!

P.S. I'm attending the #BrizBlogMeet on March 2nd in Bristol. Let me know if you're going too - or if you're interested in attending, please check out Emily's blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day and i try and reply to each and every one. Please leave your kind words below! ♥